Michael - Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I have been judged as “annoying” by a group of bratty girls who get whatever they want. So if something isn’t their way, then they will attempt to change it, until it is their way. Usually, it doesn’t work though. I believe in giving people a second chance before judging them for something that could have changed.

This all usually starts when the coach assigns me to a lane, and I go to that lane, but there is always one or two of those brats in that lane, and they get all frustrated. Usually they would say something along the lines of “God Mike, you’re so annoying! Go in a different lane! We don’t want you here!” Yet, I still get in. Usually I end up not saying anything to them, and yet, they still get really mad at me for nothing. A sad part is when someone else comes over to the lane; they all get all excited and scream his name in joy. I usually would ask myself if I belonged with these bratty girls who don’t think of me as being a person, but being “an annoying person”. Yet this doesn’t stop me from my success in swimming and how it got me to the point of where I am today in it.

Another one of the sad times when I didn’t even say anything to those same bratty girls, was at a team banquet. Apparently, our table needed an extra chair for another brat to sit, and all the other bratty girls just looked at me and said “Kick Mike out!”

“I haven’t even annoyed you or said anything to you, and you are already mad at me?” But I didn’t need to move because we fit everyone in. One of those girls who is now nicer and I can talk to her, and I asked and said to her that I hadn’t even done anything to annoy them, and she even said that I hadn’t.

If these girls could just give me a second chance and not judge me as annoying because what could have happened in the past, it would be good because I have changed. I know that they call me annoying from what I could have done in the past, but again, I have changed from that, and I am now more mature, and they don’t see that because they don’t give me a chance.

Up to today, I still ask myself if I belong there, or if I belong somewhere else from those girls, but I have friends there, and I’m not letting the girls get in my life and ruin it. Most of them aren’t getting better, but one of them is, and two others are starting, but there are still about two more who still hate me for the past, and don’t see me as me now.