Emily - woodstock, Georgia
Themes: hope, work

A Bright Hope for Tomorrow

In the Shakespeare play “Macbeth” the hero laments “Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day….” He utters these words in hopelessness as he thinks of the future as a bleak path of despair.

That’s how I felt in the summer of 2006. I worked at a supermarket when the job became unbearable until I learned and now believe that there is always hope in the Lord for tomorrow.

During my senior year I bagged 15 hours a week which wasn’t bad but as the summer began I started working 30 and 35 hours a week.

Bagging in the summer wearing a dark colored apron and pants with the sun beating down on you, standing on your feet pulling, pushing, grabbing, lifting, moving all the time can become tough. Having a manger who shots a stare-of-death at you, and co-workers who think you are weird can be disheartening. Add to the mix the ever present thoughts and fears of the college what-if. “What if I flunk?” “What if everyone hates me” What if my roommate is a maniac whose going to kill me?’ and watching everyone going to the pool or the lake while you are stuck working through your summer. All of this can make you depressed.

Around mid-June, getting up and going to work was getting mentally and physical harder every day. I found myself crying when I got home because I felt so miserable. Than I when I woke-up the next morning, before I could lift my head I would cry. The day hadn’t even begun and I believed it was going to be as bad as yesterday. My hope was gone. On June 18 I wrote down in my journal, “A fit of unhappiness has engulfed my hole person again.” Another time I wrote, “I’m unbearably sad. Right now I feel hopeless.” But my spirit was about to be lifted.

One night I while reading my Bible like I always do and I came across Psalm 27:13-14 “I would have lost heart unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of Lord in the Land of the Living. Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage and he shall strengthen your heart. Wait, I say on the Lord.” I copied it down and reread it to myself on my break during my horrible 9 hour shift each day

I would have lost hope unless I believed I would see the goodness of the Lord. Than and there I began to be determined I would not lose heart nor hope. The Lord WILL strengthen my heart. I will hope in the Lord. I will hope in tomorrow. This hope became “an anchor of the soul both sure and stead fast”, as it says in Hebrews 6:19.

The verse Lamentations 3:21-23 came to my mind. “I recall in my mind therefore I have hope. It is by the Lords mercies that we are not consumed. Because he’s compassions fail not they are new every morning Great is Your faithfulness. That verse be came my anthem, my theme. The Lord gives us hope for tomorrow. I will not be consumed by hopeless and unhappiness. I will hope in the Lord for tomorrow.

The more hope I put in the Lord for tomorrow the happier I became. The days no longer crept in a petty pace. Some co-workers even started to talk to me. The summer ended and I had to quit my job but the lesson I learned, I now live by “There is always Hope in the Lord for Tomorrow”.

There is a hymn I sing at church and the last part says, “Strength for today, a bright hope for tomorrow.” That is what the Lord gave to me that summer and what the Lord gives all of us: Hope for Tomorrow.