Jacqueline - Newtown, Connecticut

I believe that we can all learn from our mistakes. No matter how many times we mess up we can still make amends and we can still become better people. We can still try again and again and have faith that one of these times we’ll get it right.

When I was younger I took piano lessons from a woman named Ms. Restou. Whenever I was playing a piece and I made a mistake, and believe me I made many, she would make sure I knew what I did wrong and then she would say to me, “That’s okay, you can make a mistake but just don’t make the same mistake again next time.” She hoped and expected that I would learn from hitting the wrong notes and start finding the right ones. There were many times when I still made the same mistake a second and even a third time despite Ms. Restou’s guidance, but in the end I always got it right eventually.

Sometimes in life we aren’t as lucky as I was then. We don’t always have someone to watch out for us and let us know when we are making the wrong choices. But we still have ourselves. I believe that even without the help and guidance of others, we can determine right from wrong when we examine our own actions. We can find our mistakes, even if we don’t realize them when we are making them, like a wrong note that goes unheard and unnoticed. Eventually we will realize that we have struck a wrong note. We will know that we have done something wrong and with this newfound knowledge we will be able to fix it. We can replace the wrong note with the right one. We can look back when we have realized that we have done something wrong and make it better. We will continue to go back and examine our lives carefully as we would a challenging piece of sheet music until we have righted all of our wrong notes for that piece. And when we have accomplished this and we are can read the piece of music and know the bad notes before they are even played and we can avoid them, then we will truly be able to make music.