Julian - Edina, Minnesota
Themes: injustice

I believe that life is not fair. I am not saying this because I feel I have been cheated. Actually, it is the exact opposite. However I do speak out of personal experience. I feel that I have been granted many opportunities that to others seem impossible. I had been told this all my life but had rolled my eyes whenever I heard it. That is, until I visited India last Christmas. I’m not going to say that everyone was on the brink of death because they weren’t but it was true that there was a shocking amount of poverty. The part that I think showed me my belief the most was a train ride from Agra into New Delhi. I was looking out the window at the beautiful countryside when the landscape started to change. I went from seeing lush green rice fields to shanty towns littered with garbage. The train wasn’t moving that fast so I got to get a good look at one shanty village. The houses were made mostly out that curvy sheet metal stuff and the living conditions seemed unbearable. Then I saw a boy about my age walk out of one of the houses. He did not seem underfed or dying but it really made me see how lucky I am and what I take for granted. I looked at the boy then the town and thought wondered if I could live like that. Had I become so shallow that I could not adapt to a life without many material items? However there is no way to know until that is tested so I shook that off my mind and instead thought about all the privileges I had been granted. I am lucky enough to live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood and nice town. I attend a good school and that is the way things have always been for me. The train sped up and pulled away. The boy and the small shanty town grew small in the distance. My new ideas however, did not drift away with the train ride. This I believe.