Kate - West Bloomfield, Michigan

Carrie Bradshaw got it right: jobs change, men cheat, but stilettos are forever. I never feel more sexy than when I’m wearing a pair of stilettos. For all I care I could be in a track suit covered in mud with my hair in a Mohawk, but throw me a pair of four-inch Christian Louboutin pumps and I’ll walk into any room like I own the place.

I’ve tried time and time again to explain to my guy friends why choosing shoes is such a vital step in building an outfit, but to do that requires an explanation of why the ensemble matters in the first place, a concept they cannot seem the grasp. The closest I ever got to making them see the connection was by pointing out the pure physical benefits of heels. (No, not the searing pain you have to rub out of your feet after slipping your espadrilles off and soaking your worn out tootsies…I’m not deluded enough to call that a benefit.) What I mean is this: what if guys could tone their muscles, decrease their body fat, and increase the size of their member by wearing a pair of flip-flops that made their feet a little sore at the end of the day? Do you think they’d do it: hell yes. That’s effectively what heels do for women: our calves appear more defined because they’re tense, we stand with our stomachs held in to maintain our balance and both our booties jut out a little further, making them appear just a touch more full.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe that diet and exercise are an important part of everyone’s life. I believe in a healthy outlook. But give me four hours to get ready for a formal affair in a slinky cocktail dress, and I believe in the power of high-heels.