John - Bellingham, Washington

The most essential value to me is a respect for human life. Above all else, human life should be cherished. More than money, more than fame, more than a person’s selfishness and greed, life should be held in higher regard. Life is a gift that no single human has the right to take away from one who is innocent. Also it is our duty as people to honor the lives of others and to help those in need. We should be kind to all we meet and no matter how they treat you, you should treat them like they are worth living. Only then can the people of the world coexist peacefully. If we all believe that the person next to us is worth something and has a purpose and will treat us with the same kind of respect that we show him, then this world would be a much better place.

The purpose in life is the one that Jesus said so many times throughout his teachings: love everyone you meet, even your enemies. By loving the people you meet, you will treat them with respect and kindness. Also by being kind and loving to everyone you meet, you are likely to have very few enemies. I find that it is easier to love your enemies when you have none. I love everyone that I meet and try to treat them with the respect that they deserve. The often-used Golden Rule sums up a vital value that our society lacks today: Treat others the same way you would like to be treated. No one wants to be treated like they are less than human. Therefore we must always treat everyone we meet with kindness and show them that they are worth being alive. If God created them in his own likeness and loves them as much as He loves me, they are worthy of my love also.