Precious Memories

Sue - Seattle, Washington

I believe that I have a very special relationship with my mother. I haven’t yet met anyone who has a relationship with their mother in the way that I do. She is not only my mother but my closest friend. We share so many special memories. I remember one time when I was trying to teach my mom how to roller blade in the kitchen of our apartment. It didn’t really work out. Actually it ended with her flat on her back: her half laughing and half wincing in pain while I… just laughed. Even now she listens to the music that I usually listen to which ranges from rap to loud heavy rock. She dances and sings with me at Karaoke, but there are those days when the weather outside is gloomy, and the wind is blowing, and my mother drinks coffee while staring out the window. I know then that she wants to hear Chopin. She transforms into the adult that she is. But even at these times, she wants to involve us, me and my brother, in any way possible. So instead of simply turning on the radio, she would beg us to play the piano. From this I always felt her desire to spend time with us and her effort to really be a part of our lives. She never just treated me like a child and instead when she had problems or things on her mind, she would come to me to talk about her feelings. When I was capable, I gave her my opinion and she always would consider it. I believe that through this relationship with my mom, I grew a lot more mature a lot faster than many of my friends. Sometimes I wonder what I would do without her, because she is the one that I turn to however small my dilemma or however silly a thought. I depend on her so much. However, deep inside, I know that the times that my mother and I spent together have prepared me well to be on my own. Just with the many stories I heard and feelings we shared, I can grow stronger. I believe that I will be able to overcome any obstacle. For this is what my mom showed me. She doesn’t lead the easiest life but she always tries to smiles and she’s always there and she’s always strong. I believe that this is the legacy she has passed onto me.