Beyond Language: Communication is Truth

Sam - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: humanism

In the words of orator Anthony Robbins, “To effectively communicate, we must realize

that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to

our communication with others.” This quote talks about the importance of communication in our

daily lives, and forces us to realize that we must dig deep — beyond visual differences — in

order to understand the viewpoints of others. In my life, I have experienced multiple instances of

extending the linguistic norms of society in order to reach out to individuals when I thought

communicating with them could benefit me. In viewing my past as a key for future knowledge, I

believe now that communication, without regard to lingual limitations, is essential to human

progress and existence.

Whenever I have felt the need to find truth in my life, I have often turned to history to

interpret the events that surround me. My observations of history have disclosed the essential

nature of communication between 16th-century explorers and Native Americans. Although

neither party could utter even a word of the same dialect, the two groups were still able to engage

in crucial trade of crops, animals, and goods. These events proved to be critical in

internationalizing the world economy; if such explorers had not recognized that communication

was necessary despite language barriers, European influence in the Americas would never have

developed. Naturally, I have also recognized that a lack of communication in the face of desire

and greed leads to breakdowns in understanding, demonstrated by the destruction of many Native

American tribes. Through the time portal of history, I have seen the role that communication can

play in determining major historical events and decisions.

My life travels have also given me the opportunity to correspond with individuals through

modes other than English. The grade school that I attended had a substantial program for the

deaf, in which such students were free to communicate with their hearing peers. Throughout my

tenure at this school, I met some intriguing deaf students, who shared with me their insights,

opinions, and skills through undefined motions, and seldom through any form of English. If I had

not mustered enough courage at one point to attempt to communicate with some of these

knowledgeable students, I would have thought them to be simple children who could only

communicate via incomprehensible hollering. In developing my belief that communication is key

to personal progress, I have made friends of intriguing backgrounds while garnering individual

perspectives of individuals who perceive and sense in ways different from me.

I believe in the necessity of communication with no boundaries because it is all I can do

to deliver to the world my opinions while simultaneously considering the diverse views of those

who came before and those around me today. I have recognized that taking these sentiments to

heart makes me a thoughtful and knowledgeable individual who can find meaning in all aspects

of the human spirit.