Lauren - USA

I believe in the power of music. From when we were singing the eensy weesy spider at the age of three, putting on a concert of the Spice Girl’s greatest hits at the age of ten, or just singing along to our favorite radio station as we drive down the road, music has always impacted our lives in one way or another. Joyful, therapeutic, depressing or comedic, music will continue to effect us for the rest of our lives.

Whether it be my mother singing Build me up Buttercup into a hairbrush in 1968, or me performing Tearin’ up my Heart into a remote control in 1998, the joy of performing live to an audience of stuffed animals in the privacy of your own room can’t be beat.

Perhaps joy isn’t always the strongest emotion music provokes, and sometimes it’s not always the most important either. Just imagine: a car pulls up, Jethro Tull’s Locomotive Breathe is blaring from the windows. To everyone around, a crazy person has just driven up, to me? To me it signifies that the crazy woman – my mother – has had a bad day. But music is not always a way to provoke emotion, very often it is a way to bring lingering memories to the forefront. Open up any song on my MP3 Player, I guarantee you I could tell you a story I associate it with.

Audio Karate’s Rosemead, 311’s Love Song and Soil’s Redefine all remind me of my first love. Tool’s Schism and any Tsunami Bomb song? My best friend. But it’s not always people that we remember because of music. In fact, most of the time, we are reminded of special events or occasions. Amazing: My cousin’s wedding, any song from the Seussical soundtrack? Don‘t even get me started.

Music flows in and out of our lives. Sometimes consciously and sometimes subconsciously , we associate feelings, emotions and memories around the words and rhythms of songs that we love – or hate. Music grows with you, and it’s universal. A child at the age of seven will not be listening to the same music as a twenty year old. As we grow older we experience different things in our life which makes us more able to relate to a variety of music. There is different music for every person in the world. Whether it be dancing to religious or tribal rituals, attending a high class opera, or blasting a boom box on your front lawn, music is a way of bringing people together.