Ethel - Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: gratitude, love, work

I believe in true love and happily-ever-after.

My husband and I are working towards our seventh year anniversary this year and I am still very much in love. Yes, I still get butterflies in my stomach when he blows me a kiss and I still get excited when he comes home at night. But there is a reason why I used the word “work” when I refer to the number of years we have been together. I work at staying in love. It doesn’t really take that much. I’ve known him for seventeen years so there is a lot to remember that immediately brings back fond memories. Like the time when he would patiently wait in our college library, pretending he was interested in what he was reading just so he could get a glimpse of me, or the time when he surprised me and dedicated a song on the radio for me, or when he secretly held my hand while my daughter wanted daddy all to herself or when he looked at me teary-eyed when he found out we were having twin boys. There are a lot of moments — some little, some grand, but either way, beautiful moments that leave me in a state of being in love.

I watched him quit med-school and migrate from the Philippines to be with me and father the children I have always wanted. He settled for odd-jobs even with a college degree just so he can be with me here in the States. The thought of it makes me love him even more. As I nurture three children and a marriage, I cannot help but appreciate all that I have— a beautiful home, a good job, and a supportive family. This is my happily-ever-after. I am living the fairytale I have always wanted as a child and it is all possible because I continue to be in love. I have found my prince and I have chosen to live as his princess.

I believe I can be in love as long as I choose to be and live happily-ever-after as long as I believe I can. I stand strong in this belief because I know I am right and no one can prove me wrong. If anyone ever comes close, it is not because I am wrong; it is only because they have not loved as I have.