Christopher - Battle Ground, Washington

I believe that everyone should strive to be more like Guy. Guy Lewis died in my junior year of high school. It came as a complete surprise, and I was overwhelmed with grief and frustration. At first, I didn’t understand how someone so vibrant and full of life could pass at such a young age. However after attending his funeral and hearing the bishop speak, I reached a different perspective. Life shouldn’t be tedious; it should be something that is loved and cherished.

Guy died when we were only 16 years old. I had known him since we were young children in primary school. However, we were never the closest of friends because we hung out in different groups. I didn’t truly get to know Guy until the beginning of our junior year. We became good friends because we had the same math class and because we were both on the high school baseball team. Guy had an amazing personality unlike anyone I had ever met. He was extremely upbeat and had a unique sense of humor. Guy always had a way of making me laugh. I remember in math class, he would always stay positive even when his test results were disappointing. Academics never came easy for him, but he always strived for excellence nonetheless. When his tests were returned on Fridays, you could always depend on a smiling face no matter what the results were. On the last Friday I saw him, Guy received a 64 percent on his math test. When his score was returned, a deafening groan was heard from Guy three rows ahead of me. When I asked how he did, Guy smiled and replied, “Not as well as I was hoping for, but I’ll do better next time”. This was the mentality that Guy carried throughout his life, and it is the same mentality that he has passed on to me.

Guy Lewis was an amazing person who truly understood the meaning of living life to the fullest. He was never an outstanding student or athlete, but in all the time I knew him, he never gave up. Guy’s life had an immense impact on my character. He inspired me to be more determined, to always look for the good in people, and to look on the positive side of life. Whenever I lose my strength or optimism, I flip to the back of my binder where a picture of Guy is securely taped. I feel fortunate that I had the opportunity to be a part of Guy Lewis’ brief, yet meaningful life. He was truly an amazing person and I hope this essay will bring out the Guy in all of us.