Cody - ojai, California
Themes: humanism

I believe in a world, not a nation. I believe that the essence of mankind is held within our ability to speak and communicate. From the early hieroglyphics to the writings of Edgar Allen Poe, the distinctly human ability to convey a message allows us to transcend the generations and affect the lives of those we will never meet. Early on in my life I, like most children, had the ability to speak and write, but I would not develop the ability to convey a message until well into my high school career. The constant obfuscations of modern speech prevent many listeners from hearing what is truly being said. I felt, in my years past, as though I truly had no idea what was going on or what the worth of true speech was. Listening to radio commercials, TV commercials, political rhetoric and the like caused very little action within me, I was neither driven to a cause nor detracted from one. With true speech, and true purpose, one can call upon our fellow man to make a difference, whether it be in ones own country, or in our world. Because of this, I feel it is of great importance to impart on all those that we meet, through whatever circumstance, a sense of enlightenment and truth. All that needs be done to accomplish this task is to speak with purpose, speak to convey a message, not simply to be heard. Too often in our society do we hear someone speak, only to hear nothing being said. Hours can be spent listening to rhetoric or jargon and nothing is gained, no message has been stated and no cause has been upheld or attacked. My ability grew more and more as I encountered individuals who imparted upon me, from each and every conversation, a new idea, something to think about and something to reflect upon. The ability to listen for the purpose, and to speak with a purpose allows us to become a citizen of the world, not simply a citizen of a nation. The greatest leaders of our time, and many from centuries past employed these abilities, the ability to present a purpose with courage and steadfastness, the ability to listen and to hear the truth of what is being said, and the ability to allow those truths to transform their thinking. An argument is not yelling your opinion at one who disagrees, it is a conversation, an impartation of personal truths to another, and with conviction and logic ones truths may become another’s. Only a citizen of the world may become a beacon of knowledge and truth for all mankind to follow through the muck and mire of the obfuscated purposes of speech.