I Believe in Pennies

Brittany - Parker, Colorado

I believe in pennies. This may sound strange. How can a whole philosophy, if you will, be formed on the most inessential form of currency? The idea is simple enough, but it took some pretty hard lessons to learn. Take pleasure in the simple things.

My sister epitomized someone who lived by this belief. I remember all of the little details she took pleasure in, which brightened everyone’s day because of her vibrant enthusiasm. From spotting a car with one headlight out and gleefully hitting the roof and shouting “Padiddle!” to holding her breath while going over a bridge, my sister knew how to make the most mundane things seem scintillating. One night in particular, I recall sitting outside on the car watching the moon and singing songs, all the while wishing time would stand still. I recall her excitement by merely seeing cows on the side of the road. But most vividly, I remember pennies.

Find a penny, pick it up

Then all day, you’ll have good luck

Find a penny, leave it lay

Bad luck will follow all the day

Benita picked up pennies. She appreciated the seemingly insignificant things life has to offer. I won’t lie. There was a time when I didn’t care about the “pennies” in life. On March 9th, 2001, however, everything changed. Benita had been killed in a car accident. As a result, I was forced to recognize that each day is fleeting and that I will never know which moment is my last.

I found a penny the other day. I stooped down and while receiving curious, slightly exasperated looks from my friends, picked it up. One of the girls I was with commented; “You always do that,” and you know what? She’s right.