Just a Glance

Alena - San Jose, California

Every single morning I get up and pick out clothes, I style my hair, put on my make-up, or sometimes I don’t. When I’m ready, I walk out of my house and face the day ahead. But even as I go about my business there are people who I have never met, and never will meet because they have judged me from a glance and decided to pass me by. And the depressing thing is that I too have judged people before getting to know them.

It’s like that old expression I have heard my parents say to me: “Never judge a book by its cover.” As the young and ignorant person I was when they were saying this, I thought, “Yeah, uh-huh, sure Mom. Sure Dad,” and dismissed it. It was just an expression, wasn’t it?

But there is a glaring example of just that in my life now. That you really can’t judge people by their appearances, because people are so much more than their appearances. My example stands at about 6’2” and has brown eyes and long brown hair to match. The first time I saw him I thought to myself, “Wow, that kid’s so weird.” I was certain that we would never be friends.

Fate has a funny way of giving you what you least expected because before I knew it he and I were lab partners and soon after, good friends.

Underneath the incredibly outgoing and slightly intimidating exterior was a boy who could truly listen. A kind person, with real feelings. A friend, one who could always get me to laugh, no matter how bleak my morning looked. A study buddy and someone I could stay up late talking to. Someone to listen and sympathize with me when I complained about chemistry class, and I always did.

I can remember with crystal clarity the day that I knew I had a crush on him. As we walked out of the classroom and into the sunshine and brightness of the courtyard he turned and continued on with me to my locker. Why? Why did I like this boy? Why were we such good friends? I had thought we would never be friends. As I stood by my locker and watched him stride off to meet his group of friends for lunch I thought to myself, “Wow, I was wrong.”

Many phone calls were made that day; my two good friends and I came to the conclusion that my parents had been right. My parents were right? They actually knew what they were talking about. I was actually learning a life lesson here, and one my parents had acquainted me with.

This I believe: I believe that you should never judge people by their outer appearances. And since I believe this I have made many new friends, but I will never forget how wrong I was about the boy in my chemistry class. I can only hope that someday, someone will give me that chance too.