Shiela - Leander, Texas

“Every thing happens for a reason”

We all have been at a point in life when we think “It can’t get worse than this.” Or we question our faith by asking “Why is this happening to me?” The reasons aren’t always apparent right away, but I truly believe that everything happens for a reason.

I have been faced with many challenges in life, as we all have. All of which only made me a stronger, better person. I would not be where I am today if I hadn’t had to overcome those challenges.

At the young age of 18 I became a mother. While my peers were preparing for college and planning their future, I was changing diapers, scared of the future. Although raising a child on my own has been difficult at times, it is one of the best things that could have happened. The life I lived before was taking me down the wrong path. It really scares me to think of where I would be today if I hadn’t had to make those major life changes.

I got to a point where I had lost sight of what really matters. I was providing for my child and giving her a good home. But I became so busy with work and having a social life that I didn’t spend the “quality time” with my daughter. My parents tried to get me to realize what I was doing, but in my eyes everything was fine. In turn, my relationship with my parents and the rest of my family deteriorated..

A little over four years ago I had a real “eye opening” experience. I was in a serious car accident and suffered a severe head injury. One side of my face was totally shattered, requiring bone plates and implants, I lost vision in one eye, and had three skull fractures. Doctors weren’t sure of my chance of recovery. Amazingly, the family I had once pushed away did not leave my side. As I lay there in the hospital, knowing this may be the end, all I heard was my mom and dads voice saying “ Be strong, you can make it, your baby girl needs you.” Those words gave me the strength I needed to survive. Against all odds, three weeks later I was released from the hospital.

It has been a very hard recovery; but not without its silver lining. I have learned to adjust to the loss of vision in one eye. I have learned to cope with not being able to do things I love because of migraines. The relationship I had lost with my parents is now stronger than it has ever been. They are my best friends. I now realize the importance of spending time with my daughter. I have also realized that it is not worth it to waste precious time arguing and fighting with the ones you love. I live everyday like it could be the last but at the same time I live for the future. I have regained sight of my goals in life and I know now that I have the strength to do anything. Its amazing how such a horrible experience can have such a positive out come. Everything really does happen for a reason.