Mayra - Portalnd, Oregon
Themes: forgiveness

“The Power of Forgiveness I believe in the power of forgiveness. I believe that by forgiving you would be in peace with yourself. It was hard for me to forgive because I felt betrayed and all I could think about is vengeance. Forgiving is difficult but not impossible to do.

I felt furious, betrayed, and stepped on. My head was full of vengeance ideas. “She had betrayed me and now it is payback time.” That is what I would always think about, that was always in my mind. Of course I was 16. She was my best friend and I trusted her. I confide in her I told her every thing. She turned her back on me and told everyone I did not get along with. By then I knew that she was just using me, all she wanted was my information. It was then that I learned that I can’t just trust anyone. It turns out that she was one of my enemy’s cousins. That is why I hated her I wanted to get vengeance. In fact I knew she was illegal and I wanted her to suffer. One of my ideas was to turn her in to immigration, so that she could be deported, but that all changed when I read “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom, Morrie is the one who taught me to forgive. He made me understand that holding a grudge is just a waste of time, that the only person I am hurting is I. It was then that I understood that I needed to forgive her, not apologize, but forgive her. Only then I would be in peace with myself. It was not easy to forgive her but I did and it feels great. She is not my best friend or my friend at all, but she is a human and all humans make mistakes. Holding that grudge was just a waste of time because I became angry. That anger was only hurting me and I needed that to stop. So I made the decision to stop hurting myself and I did, I forgave her. Now I am in peace with myself and it feels better than ever. Forgiving the people that have hurt me has given me peace of mind and tranquility. It is hard to forgive someone who has hurt you the most, but holding a grudge is harder. I like the feeling of harmony that I get now that I am in peace with myself. It is now that I realize that I wasted a lot of my time holding that grudge. This is why I believe in the power of forgiveness.