Izaak - Greenup, Kentucky

This I believe.

I believe that God smashed into humanity to restore his lost creation through Jesus Christ. My name is Izaak B–. I am 16 years old and home schooled by my father and mother. I have been raised Roman Catholic and still remain “in the fold”.

When I became a teenager I began reading the great authors. I was immediately impressed by their wit, persuasiveness, and good sense. Then I realized the horrifying obvious, they disagreed. Plato disagrees with Rousseau. Marx with Adam Smith. John Locke with Hobbes and both of them with Augustine. My joy in the wisdom of Man was shattered. How could all these wise men disagree? I was confronted with the reigning spirit of our age, Relativism. Happily, I rejected its rule and this decision was encouraged by my study of science.

Science is a wonderful discipline. Ideas are either true or false. If the evidence contradicts a hypothesis it is modified or rejected. There is no wiggle room. If your truth is different from my truth, one, or both of us, is wrong. The law of gravity had better be universal or it is wrong.

If there is absolute truth in the physical world, then it must exists in the world of ideas. The reign of Reason cannot be limited to matter alone. My study of human wisdom left me with one decided view. We are not wise enough to discover the spiritual and moral truths on our own. If we were, there would not be the reasonable disagreement among all the philosophers I have mentioned. We Humans cannot find the truth, it must be revealed to us.

Now I will skip over the other religions that claim divine revelation and consider the claims of Christianity. But before I do so, here is my key assumption. The accounts of Jesus Christ in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are true accounts.

Now let’s consider the recorded words of Jesus. Jesus, beyond debate, spoke some of the greatest wisdom in the Human tradition. These include the Beatitudes, the Golden Rule, and social doctrines. Jesus also claims to be The Son of God. Not just any Son, but the eternally exist Son of the Father.

Jesus can only be one of three things. Insane. What else do we call Someone who claims to be God’s eternally existent son? Evil. If Jesus was not mad, then he was one of the greatest manipulators in History. Or Jesus is what he claims to be, the Son of God.

Jesus could not be insane. No mad man ever spoke such wisdom like Jesus did. Jesus could not be evil. No manipulator could speak and be so good. Nowhere was Jesus ever portrayed as evil. That leaves us with only one possibility. Jesus is the Son of God.

This may seem strictly intellectual, but it is profoundly personal. This Conclusion, that Jesus is the Son of God, focuses every aspect of my life. In the morning I dedicate the day to the Lord in morning prayer. Then throughout the day I am faced, in all my successes and failings, with the unconditional Love of Jesus. Finally, at the end of the day I say the Act of Contrition and All my actions go back to the Lord. My successes into his service and my failures into his blood.

This I believe, Jesus is the Son of God.