Christopher - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

This I believe. That God loves all of us, regardless of difference. In fact, difference is one of the reasons we are loved. It’s a human failing that we don’t appreciate diversity in ability, potential, passion, origin, experience, or belief.

This I believe. That there is joy in each day but that there is danger as well. And so we have reasons both to celebrate and to fear. But both instincts or impulses are good, since they respond reasonably to reality. And with this in mind, we must then willingly face the good and the bad.

Since we are diverse and since there is real and real evil–and we have the capacity to know and respond to both–then our choices become paramount, don’t they? Our choices must matter, and they do. Which also means that we must matter. And this I believe.

We each matter. We are each of value. We are valuable in our existing–in our living, in everything that each of us is and in our actions. And our choices.

You are of value. And so am I. I believe this.

Personally, I find it easier to believe in your value than to believe in mine. Maybe many of us are like this. Maybe not.

But here we are. In a world that is both fragile and firm. We are meaningful. And our choices matter.

So what will we choose? A few years ago, I nearly died. This has certainly happened to many people. In my experience, I believe I did go through the dying process, which was not completed. My sister says this is because God is not through with me here yet.

As I lay dying–actually, as I lay embryonically scrunched up–I can say that, through the pain and the surprise and the rest, what ultimately came to me was a sensation or realization, if not a calling, to relent. To let go of this world I lay on, this life. And I must admit it was not a fearful feeling to have.

Since I live, some things in me have changed now and I believe forever. One of them is the upset of others. I don’t care about that anymore. Mind you, I still care about others–perhaps even more so. But while I care about the content of a person’s concern, I no longer care about the manner. Get as upset as you like. I’ll care about you, but I won’t care about that. Maybe that makes me an annoying brother, friend, or colleague.

Well, this isn’t a perfect or complete set of beliefs; and I am limited by word count. But this I believe. We are wonderfully distinctive. We are loved. We think and feel, and the core of that should be sought after, cared for, and respected. We should choose this. And with such prevailing acceptance and care, perhaps we might live better, even peaceably, on this fragile, firm earth of ours.