Meklete - portland, Oregon

I Believe in the Power of God

I believe in the power of God, no matter what happens. I grew up in a family

who believes in God in, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

When I was six, for an unknown reason, I became deaf. To this day, No one still knows what had happened to me. I could never forget my father’s face covered with tears, but I knew God has the power to change his tears to a smile. I knew God wouldn’t leave me in that condition forever. After three days had passed, I despaired. On the fifth day, while I was sitting next to my mother, I heard some noise. “I think I heard something,” I said. When I heard my mother’s answer, “What?” I became so sure God had given me my ears back.

We, my parents, my ten siblings and I celebrated that day. We were rich. Four of us shared one bed, we took a shower once in fifteen days, we never thought to eat a balanced diet, but we had peace and happiness that we got from God.

A year later, my elder sister got married to an American man, and she came to the United States. After a while, she started working. Her work meant we were going to have money. Money buys anything, except the happiness and peace we already had. Now we have a bed for each of us, we take a shower whenever we want, and we eat three or four kinds of foods in each meal.

To believe in God’s power is to be safe. Two years ago when I was a college student, there was a big crisis between the Ethiopian government and college students. One day, when I got home after three hours of kidnapping by the government soldiers, my mother said, “God, I need my children out of this country.

It didn’t take God long: now, in less than one year, I am in the United States and out of Ethiopia.

On the day I came to the United States, to Seattle, I found out that my healthy father had been admittted to a hospital due to stroke. This was a really hard time for me. He was eating and breathing with the assistance of machines; he didn’t talk, and he didn’t move. I cried a lot, but the only and the best thing I could do was give my father to God’s care and to wait for God’s powerful solutions. My father has been showing many changes. After nine months, he finally came home yesterday, May 31st, 2007. He talks, eats, and moves by wheelchair. I was crying when he called and told me that he was home playing with his grandkids. We talked for fifteen minutes. Before he hung up, I surely said: “Dad you will walk pretty soon.” He replied: “I know Meklete.” We both know this is going to be true because he and I believe God has the power to do anything