Family

Michelle - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe the bond of the family to be the strongest bond of all. My parents developed that bond at the birth of each of their children. They nurtured that bond as we grew. They guided us throught the roadmap of life. Helping us maneuver through the twists and turns of adolescence, encouraging us to climb the mountains that sometimes faced us, and kept us on the right road to adulthood.

Sometimes as children and young adults we took detours that lead us down dark and unknown roads. We got lost and needed help getting back on track. Our parents were there to redirect us to where we needed to be, by either using encouraging words or being blunt. The possiblility of being grounded was also a good incentive to straigthen up.

When we stumbled and fell mom and/or dad was there to up pick us up, clean us off and kiss our boo boo’s. They taught us how to ride a bike, to be kind to others, to share and to say sorry when we were wrong. They chose to teach us about God. Our parents beileve we can do anything we set our minds to. Their faith and love is unlimited. They are there to give us advice whether we need it or not.

I believe I have sisters to constantly challenge me and keep me on my toes. My sisters were alsways the first to let and mom and dad know when I did something wrong. They were also the first to make me laugh when things weren’t going well. I think the challenges they put me through were tougher than any challenge I have had in my adult life.

As our lives have taken us in different directions, we know that our family will always be there for us. We can depend on each other to be there for advice on taking a new job, help with a new baby or relationships. We call at moments of stress, anxiety, happiness or sadness. Their encouraging words are there and we survuve whatever problem we had.

We have taken our values that we learned and have gone out into the world. We created our own families and continue that ever growing bond. As our children grow we continue to stay close. Sharing with each other all of our children’s “firsts”, fears, hopes, and dreams we for them. We contiue to instill the value of a close family by example.

Our parents contiue to help see us through the challenges we face and they contiue to support us in our adult lives. As adults and parents, my sisters and I appreciate the strong bond we have between us and realize we are very lucky to have it.