Jelani - Newark, Delaware
Themes: hope

“Revenge has no more quenching effect on emotions than salt water has on thirst.” Walter Weckler. That was a quote that spoke to what my belief was. I believe revenge will only bring destruction of something precious. Whether it’s money, possessions, or something more important, revenge is usually the cause of something being lost.

I believe that people’s plans for revenge have gone too far. I think people having so many weapons is a bad thing. No regular citizen should have to get guns to protect themselves on the street. That’s how gang wars can get started – some paranoid person carries a gun and fires on a gang member who bumps into him. Then that person’s gang gets mad and starts killing.

It was 4th grade when I tried to get revenge on my friend: I pushed him and he went off course. He hit his head on the edge of the wall. Next thing I knew he was on the ground not moving. The teacher came and got him; it turned out he had a minor concussion. I really thought I killed my friend. Even though he forgave me, I still felt like people would hate me, and that he would hate me. The worst thing is that I can’t even remember why I wanted revenge.

To me if people could learn to forgive and forget, the world would be a better place. Wars have been started because countries want to get back at other countries for stupid things. People need to calm down and think about what they’re doing, look before they leap.

Revenge isn’t only destructive it’s contagious. When you do harm to someone or after someone has harmed you; the revenge you receive from someone else or the revenge you eventually carry out on another person, can spread to the people who love you, or the people who loved the person you took revenge on. Lives are ruined, homes are destroyed, and people die.

My belief is that revenge will only bring destruction of something precious. But after that something is lost, the world will recognize that revenge was the cause of the loss, and the world can find peace. How many precious things must be lost before we find peace?