Alison - West Grove, Pennsylvania
Themes: forgiveness

My Own Sunny Side

By Alison Perez

“Stay on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, stay on the sunny side of life.” I believe in looking on the sunny side. Mommy gave birth to me, and always showed me how to be happy. She would sometimes sacrifice her own happiness to throw us huge birthday parties and to do little science experiments with us. Mommy was now laying there in the hospital bed with a tube going into her, she just laid there……………..dying.

One day, during the week before my mom died, my dad was crying, like we all had been doing pretty much nonstop. I went over to him and said, “When one door closes another one opens.” I remember everything about that moment. The house was dark, my mom’s parents had just gotten there; we were eating some weird squash thing, and everyone was sad, but for some reason I wasn’t as sad as everyone else. Was there something wrong with me? No, I was just trying to be happy, I hope by doing so that I cheered other people up too. I think that that was my way of showing how much my mom meant to me by staying on the sunny like my mom did.

I think that I learned a lot of that stuff from Mommy because when her car got hit and she had to get the door replaced she was fine with it. She was saying that the door was scraped up anyway. Another example is one summer my mom thought it would be cool if we kept a summer diary type of thing, not realizing that she was just trying to entertain us me and my brother didn’t really want to do it (to us it just sounded like a school assignment). Mommy, instead of making us do it, just kept trying to make it sound like more fun by saying stuff like after the summer if you guys do it then you will be able to know everything that you did this summer.

According to my dad, I am really good about forgiving people and saying “maybe they are just this way because……” If someone is mean to you then you have a right to be mad, but after a little while you just have to let it go. People and their behaviors change, or it might have been an accident that they feel really bad about. Another example is, with art projects if something gets messed up I just change it into something else. Some people don’t have food, none the less art supplies. So if you mess something up, all you have to do is change it into something else and sometimes it turns out even better than you thought it would.

When ever I find it hard to look on the sunny side I just think of all the people in the world who are hungry and poverty stricken and then I look at all the good things that I have; a house, food, clothes, great family and friends. I used this technique when my mom died, but also right now because I am going through a really hard time. Not only had my dad just gotten remarried but all my “friends” had turned their backs on me. The sunny side of me said that I still had my 3 true friends and a new step family.

“The sun never stopped shining you just stopped looking” I wrote that quote and it’s true. Even when I was so sad and depressed after my mom died I just kept looking at my own sun, the sunny side.