Pete - Freeport, Maine
Themes: death, gratitude

A long time ago, when I was a young boy one of my common fears was of dying, a very scaring thing at first thought. This was because I couldn’t imagine not being alive and being able to walk around and see my family and friends. People in my family tried to explain to me that there is an after life and that heaven exists, they got me books about it, and told stories about people who have “gone” to heaven, but nothing got through to me until I talked to my grandfather about it. He got through to me since he had thought about this before, because any day he could die. But he was still there doing the things he liked and enjoying each and every day of his life and not worrying a single bit about what lay ahead for him. This talk inspired me, because if my grandfather wasn’t worried then I had no right to be because I’m just a young boy and have many bright years ahead of me. Very often I remember what my grandfather told me, and the words always inspire me to do what I want and take risks whenever I need a reminder. Not once since having this talk have I feared dying, but I have rather faced the realization that someday death will occur and it will not be upsetting as long as I enjoy every day of my life. This way of living sometimes gets me in trouble whether I put off my school work or something important in order to have some fun with my friends and family, but even if I get in trouble I will not regret spending time with loved ones who will not always be there. Every day I try to fit as much as possible into my day and always challenge myself so that I reach my goals for life because I want to enjoy every day of my life. So I make this podcast as a reminder to remember what’s important in life and to live each and every day to the fullest.