Jaffet - Rainier, Oregon

Do you want to know what I believe? I believe that there is a God that he is a loving God who cares about me just as much as he cares about you. I believe that I would not be alive today if it was not for him. Do you want proof? Fine, here it is.

Summer 2006, it was a hot day but a relaxing one. The last day of camp and we decided to visit a near by waterfall. Not just any waterfall, but a 120 foot tall waterfall. Yeah, big I know. The special thing about this particular waterfall is how it creates a small swimming pool calm enough for even a child to swim in, some 50 feet away. So as you can imagine it was a very popular tourist attraction. My group decided to sit down by the pool and have a quick prayer for a safe trip back home. While everyone else had their eyes closed and heads bowed my friends and I decided to try and sneak behind the waterfall for a quick thrill.

Jack, the oldest in the group took the lead. Carefully stepping around each corner as if it was his last. (I assume the readers know that a 120-foot waterfall has enough pressure to completely submerge a full-grown man). So as you can imagine our steps were very slow, and very cautious. A quick splash of water hits me when I’m not looking and almost sends me to an emanate death. Jack grabs me by the shirt and pulls me back to the rocks. “I think it would be better if you just stay here,” yells Jack.

“No its ok I’ll be more careful I promise!”

And so we continued, 45-60 seconds later we reach a flat platform behind the waterfall and decide to take a brake before heading back. It’s a marvelous thing to stand behind a waterfall if you never have. The beauty of it seems to capture your imagination. “You ready to head back?” Calls Jack.

“Yeah I’m ready when you are!”

“Ok I guess we can jump in a little to the left of the waterfall itself, the current should carry us to those rocks.” Jack points his hand towards the rocks I almost fell off of earlier.

“You go first!” I shout back.

Without a moment to loose Jack leaps into the water and drifts towards the rocks to my left. Now it’s my turn, I take a deep breath and cannon ball into the seemingly harmless waters. The water was rougher than I had imagined, quicker to, too quick. I catch a glimpse of rock and grab for it but miss. I hear shouting from my comrades and begin to feel panic creep up my spine. Suddenly I’m pulled downward by an enormous force, too powerful for even the strongest of men to fight back. All I could think at this point was “I am about to die.” The water thrusts me back up again for just enough time to grab a breath of air. My arms flailing out of the water seeking rescue from death, no rescue. My life flashes before my eyes as I’m pulled further and further into the depth. My mother, my father, all 4 siblings, my friends, first kiss, first love. I never thought it was true, how people say your life flashes before your eyes when you truly believe you’re about to die. Well it does, and let me tell you it’s damn scary! My lungs don’t seem to have much left in them at this point, not after all the energy I wasted searching for a way to escape death. I suddenly began to pray. “Lord, please don’t let me die like this, I have much more to live for, I don’t want to die, please help me!”

That’s when it happened. I heard a voice boom through my whole body, a voice so clear it was as if that person was standing rite in front of me. “You are not finished.” At that moment I felt a hand push against my back and thrust me back up towards the surface. Air re-filled my lungs as I reached out for a hand. Almost immediately my hand connected with another and I was pulled up and out of the roaring waters. The first thing they asked me was if I was all right. I replied to them “Well I’m alive aren’t I?”