Amber - Portland, Oregon

Expressing yourself

I believe if you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything. Now days it seems like people can’t express their selves. I’m not sure if it’s the fear of not being liked, or if it’s the fear of people will not like what you have to say. I believe in expressing yourself.

When I was younger, I dealt with a skin problem called exzma; I had really dry and cracked skin. The kids always teased me, and I never spoke up to anyone. I never defended myself. I would just cry. Until, one day, my mentor asked me why don’t I speak up and let people know how I feel, why don’t I speak up and express myself. It was that day I told myself “never again!”

I took my mentors advice, but it didn’t work. I never knew the reason why kids were so cruel; I still don’t know the reason. I don’t think the kids took me serious, for the simple fact I held out so long not saying anything. It was basically a normal thing for them to make fun of me. I didn’t know how to stop it, and I didn’t know how to fix it, I wanted to run away, and hide. I couldn’t do that because if I did, the words I had previously said would have just probable been a joke to them.

I never got the kids to stop making fun of me, but I learned, if I speak up, and let people know how I feel, and express myself I might have a better chance at stopping a problem before it gets to bad. Expressing yourself shows you have confidence and maturity.

When you have the confidence to express yourself you show you can stand up for yourself. The power of expressing yourself holds a lot of things. You’ll be surprised on what you can accomplish if you listen to that little voice inside you telling you “You have the right words to say. Speak your opinion, be heard.” When you begin to listen you’ll notice that you will start to hear thing’s you never heard. You should always have an open mind; because if you’re closed minded, nothing will ever get in, and nothing will ever get out. Meaning, your opinions or your feeling will never get out, and you won’t be able to help anyone else because their feelings are not visible to you. I speak my mind, you make not like it, but at least you’ll always get the truth. I don’t say things to make myself feel better, I don’t say mean things. I don’t say things and try to sugar coat them; I say things with the meaning of what they mean.