Hilary - Oregon

Good and evil, always there, always watching, and always beaconing us forward. Isn’t it our chose in the end, which way we choose, but how do we get there? What influences our chooses? Who influences our chooses? In the long run aren’t we the only ones who can make them, no matter our age, no matter who is there to tell us right from wrong? In the musical Wicked there is a song called “For Good” were Glinda and Elphaba sing about how they influenced each others lives, Glinda sings “Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better? But because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” Doesn’t this imply that everybody we meet changes our lives in some way? And who says people are the only influences way have, can’t things we see or hear, change us forever as well? I believe they can, for good or bad or both.

There are many things that have changed my life, most of them in good ways. Different books I’ve read have changed my thoughts on society, people in the media change my thoughts on politics, and people have changed my thoughts on life. In elementary school I was always the kid who was good at math and hated reading, I was even in the special reading class tell fifth grade. It wasn’t so much that I couldn’t read it was more that reading didn’t interest me, and why should it, at home I had television and video games. I guess the idea of sitting and reading just seemed very dull, compared to everything else I can do at home. By this point books were big at school, Harry Potter to be exact. I can remember getting so annoyed at all the kids that would just talk and talk about it, that in and of itself is ironic. The most common conversion I heard was, how to say Hermione, and every time the title came up I’d cringe. I can remember thinking “I will never read THAT book, it must be so stupid, I’ll never be caught dead looking at it.” I believe this was around the time when I received the fateful news from my teacher, she asked if I’d like to come to the normal reading class… The idea scared me to death, so naturally, I said “ok.” It wasn’t that bad, I mean aside from the reading, it was even kind of fun. By seventh grade my reading level had caught up to the others in my grade, so I was a late bloomer. Once a week we would have to read silently in English, this is the point where my views on reading took a 180. I read a book called Black Like Me and believe it or not I liked it, I found it interesting and even enjoyable to read. The next book really launch me to where I am today and the book was It by Stephen King. Ready for the ironic part… Harry Potter was also read, not just read, but devoured. Sense that time I have read countless books both good and bad, but those first ones changed my life cause without them I wouldn’t be reading.

I don’t feel I need to go over people that have changed my life, because everybody can look back to a time where somebody just did something that mattered. Something that helped you get through a bad time, or helped you understand something that you didn’t before. Maybe you helped them as much as they helped you. Maybe you being their friend saved their life, and they being your friend helped you deal with the loss of someone near. Have you ever heard the song Hero by Superchick? It is one of those wonderful songs with a deep meaning behind it. The Chorus for the song says “You could be a hero, Heroes do what’s right, You could be a hero, You might save a life,

You could be a hero, you could join the fight, For what’s right, for what’s right, for what’s right.” The song also says that “Heroes are made when you make a choice.” Everybody reading this knows that to be true. I believe that we all could be heros if we think before we choose, and understand that everything we do changes someones life.