Gracie - Ojai, California

To the contrary of the point of this essay, I am going to talk about what I don’t believe. I do not believe in organized religions. A bold statement some say, others tell me I have been brought to this theory due to the spirit of laziness. However, there are many reasons as to why I do not believe.

The first person that put this idea into my head was my brother. We were born and raised Catholics along with our two sisters. All four of us were baptized, attended Sunday School, achieved our first communions, and prayed every night. Catholicism was a key role in our lives. My father was even an altar boy when he was a teenager. Today he believes in Evolution, “the big bang.” One thing that humans can’t seem to grasp is that anyone is capable of changing their minds. Faith is not set in stone. Including my brother, many revelations attributed to my opposition of organized religions. One being the increasing number of altar boys “serving God” in ways unimaginable, as well as my belief of religion sparking the flame of every war in the history of mankind. I see this reason alone as quite justifiable.

As I stated previously, many have accused me in not believing because I am too lazy to attend church. They say it’s easier to say I don’t believe and not go, than to say I do believe and have to go every single Sunday. This saddens me, mostly because they don’t, or won’t, understand. When those people are set in their ways it’s hard for them to hear something different, something that challenges their personal views.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in having one religion. It only causes conflicts between people and nations. Some say that their religion is protection, or makes them feel like they are apart of something bigger than solely life. Why isn’t their belief in God enough? Why must they have others to justify their own beliefs? I can’t comprehend how all of us believe in the same God , but must call Him different names. Faith is based on belief, not facts. God loves everyone not just those of one religion. Sometimes I think the reason is possibly because of the love of power. People are so obsessed with it, they are attempting to control even God.