Taylor - Battle Creek, Michigan

As Alfred D. Souza once said, I believe that “happiness is a journey not a destination”. All my life I felt as though I was working and living just to get through life’s events for something better. There were hurdles and obstacles that I had to overcome. I attacked them all with the idea that I was working to find happiness at the end of the road. My search was becoming a desperate one!

I felt as though I knew that with hard work in my profession, I could eventually find happiness in completing my master’s degree or moving into a more desirable position. I felt as though I knew that with putting thoughtfulness and care into my relationships I could eventually develop a relationship that would finally give me the true happiness I was searching for. I thought I could find happiness on the day of my wedding, or the day I would become a mother. However, there would be many obstacles to overcome and events to get through before I would be able to reach these moments of happiness in my life.

The thoughtfulness and care I put into my relationships did finally give me the happiness that I was desperately searching for. My wedding day was indeed one of the happiest days of my life. But this was not the happiness at the end of the road. For this was not a destination or, in fact, anywhere near the end. For me it was the beginning of a new way of life…a new partner, a fresh outlook. My lifetime partner opened my eyes to what true happiness is all about. He has given me so much more than just happiness; he has shown me where to look for it. He has taught me to value each day and to take time to enjoy the small, everyday moments along the way in life. I now live for these small moments without relying on major life events to create joy in my life.

Life is a journey and happiness can be found everywhere along the way if you know where to look for it. Slow down and treasure every moment life has to offer. Search for happiness in the smallest things. Enjoy bike rides, take hikes, observe nature, play outside, relax on the porch, take photographs, read books, paint pictures, plant seeds and watch them grow, play with children, travel and watch the stars. Savor these moments and live your life for them. Stop waiting to reach your destination. Realize that happiness is a journey…you and I were meant to enjoy the ride.