Dorian - Williamstown, Massachusetts

I believe the world today has many issues that connect within each other. These issues and problems are caused by people, and could be solved by these same people if an effort were made. The problems that are present in the America include, obesity, corporation power, global warming, and media. These all connect in many ways that make it hard to the world to function properly.

Health problems in the U.S. are out of control. We, the fattest country in the world, are home to the most McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Friendly’s and many other chains. If you see these fast food restaurants advertised on TV, you also will see commercials for Advil, Pepto Bismol, and more heartburn, indigestion, cholesterol control pills. Now, why, if people are so concerned with making themselves feel better, why in the first place would they feel so bad? Because of the food they eat. The health problems are caused by the advertised corporations, that harm others. Different corporations, with the same corporate power, are selling millions upon millions of dieting pills.

When the factories produce these pills, and the toys for those happy meals, or ever the food itself, the smoke and pollution goes up into the atmosphere. This causes the ozone to thin, the sun to get through, and the glaciers to melt. There is more chemical build-up in the ice, at the North and South Poles, than ever before in the history of the earth. To solve this problem, there should be less traffic. To cut down on traffic will solve the problem of obesity. If someone drives to McDonald’s, they are causing pollution by, both driving, and supporting these large corporations. Instead of driving, they should walk to the grocery store, and pick up some vegetables, walk back home and fix them for dinner. Out of the window goes some pollution, and weight problems. There is money saved on gas, and dieting pills.

These problems are all caused by one thing that brings it all to everyone. The media. Television shows all the happiness of McDonald’s, with its play-places and kids toys. Kids will beg their parents to stop at the drive through on the way to grandma’s house. The kids will grow up being happy with all of the unhealthy foods that are consumed there. They will enjoy it enough to bring their children, and it will repeat. Of course, when the parents are too fat to walk to get dinner, they will drive their brand new Hummer (seen on TV as the new, best SUV) to the drive through and cause twice as much pollution. Not only will they be spending money on treadmills and heart pills, but they will be spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on gas, only adding more to the already disgusting atmosphere.

In conclusion, all of these connect because of the laziness of people in the modern world. People in Africa that are living the way people lived in 20,000 B.C.E. Are thinner, healthier and live twice as long as the four hundred pound, unhealthy, artery clogged, Americans that are so obsessed with beauty and health.