How can I make a difference as an attorney?

Dimitri - Davie, Florida

It is sad that in America nobody does or says anything without considering a possible lawsuit. We live in the greatest country, in which by the way, we have one of the highest prison population per capita in the world. More than fifty percent of our kids live without one or even both of their parents. And those parents weren’t killed in a war or some other disaster.

At the same time America is still the Land of Opportunity. The fact that any person can come here, legally or not legally, without speaking a single word of English, go to school without paying a single dollar of his own, and become a doctor, lawyer or what have you in a few years, proves it.

How can it be that the greatest country in the world has two faces? What’s wrong and is it too late to fix it? I’m asking myself these questions every day. I want to change many things. There is a lot to be done and one lifetime wouldn’t be enough, but if I have to set my priorities, I would love to see a state judicial system where the judges do not have to do what they aren’t supposed to do just to become likable to the public that elects them. I want to see our judges elected based on competency, independence, strong principals and common sense. I wouldn’t hesitate to devote my energy and time to doing something to limit the service of the senators to no more than two consecutive terms. We limit the presidential terms to avoid the creation of a corrupt royalty like institution, but we do not limit the terms for the senators, some of whom get to spend their lives as such, without ever having to live the life of ordinary people. This creates some kind of aristocracy, against which the people, who created this republic actually fought.

I believe when Bernard Shaw said that a person without revolutionary mind isn’t contributing to the progress of the society, he was talking about mentality and behavior. Not about war. What happened to the American Revolution? Not the Revolutionary War, but the revolution in people’s minds and hearts. The one, that gave the birth of a great new nation. I am the kind of person that believes that to protect and serve is a duty for all citizens.

There is a lot to be done to keep the “revolution” alive and the progress of our great nation moving forward. There are also many different ways to do it. I have chosen the legal field, because I believe that I can do the best and the most for the society as a legal worker. I want to spend the rest of my life doing anything I could to restore the true meaning of words like ”justice”, “hope” , “trust”, “believe”, and most importantly I want to make people believe that they still belong to a great union called United States of America.