Ryan - Normal, Illinois

I believe that music is powerful. Music has the power to soothe the soul. It can bring out the best in everyone. Growing up with two older brothers, each with a different musical background, I got to experience different music like band and orchestra. As I got older I got introduced to many different types of music. My brother introduced me to rock n’ roll, techno, punk, indie, and so much more. It was great seeing and hearing so many different bands and their music. It inspired me to be a musician. When I hit 5th grade I got to try out different instruments and take a band class. I tried instruments of different shapes, sizes, and sounds. I tried the cello, trumpet, tuba, and many more instruments. But the best one of all was the snare drum, as soon as I saw it I knew it was what I wanted to play. I’ve been in percussion for four years. I can do all kinds of rudiments, I can play most of my scales on the bells, and I can play almost any percussion instrument imaginable. But in the beginning of 8th grade, I wanted to learn to play the drum set. After days of asking my parents to take private lessons, they let me; I went to Pro Sound music center and signed up for private lessons. I learned rock beats, funk beats, Latin beats, jazz shuffle, and much more. I started practicing on the drums at school so I could try out for the KJHS jazz band. I practiced every day, making sure I knew everything. Finally the day came and I tried out for the jazz band, I tried to cram in a bit more practice and then it came. Mr. Reese, the band director, sat down with a clipboard and a pencil, and had me perform a piece from a jazz song, I did pretty good, and I had to play a Latin beat, a rock beat, and a soft ballad beat. Once all of that was over, I waited with some friends to wait for the results. And I got in! It was amazing being in the jazz band. We went to many contests, and were in many performances. We even went on an elementary school tour, and it was amazing experience, seeing all those kids in the crowds, inspiring the next generation of musicians. Being a musician has been so wonderful, expressing yourself though the power of music, there’s no greater feeling than that. But jazz band finally came to an end, it was sad, but I’m hoping to be in a few bands in my own. Just recently I got my drum set, all set and ready to go, to start my own chapter in music. I’m already in a band with one of my friends, and after enough practice, we might start doing some gigs. Music has been my life, always is, always will be. It’s so powerful. It has the power to change the world. It’s fun just to goof off and rock out with friends. The feeling you get when you’re playing in front of a crowd, have them hear the music you’ve worked so hard to get right. And the applause you get, the amazement you see in the crowd, and the look on kid’s faces when you perform. It’s so great to see the lives you’ve touched with you music. Hopefully 20 years down the road, I can still see myself playing music with my friends, still rocking out, still having a good time, cause when you get down to it, music is an amazing thing. It’s the universal language. Music begins where words stop, and as long as I have a pair of drumsticks and a beat in my heart, I’ll continue the legacy of music, for the whole world to hear.