Samantha - Hebron, Indiana

I believe that my mother will always be my best friend. Most people would be ashamed to name a parent as their best friend. For some reason, it doesn’t seem natural. Kids are supposed to hate their parents. Parents are supposed to be the strict rule makers of the house and in turn, kids are expected to hate them for it.

If that’s the case, then consider me the oddest child in history. I’m not afraid to say it- my mother is my best friend in this entire world.

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. Through my childhood and teenage years, I’ve never had a best friend that lasted. Certain people come into your life and change you- sometimes not always for the better. But through all of that my mother has always been the one friend that has always been there. While others were walking out on me, she was always there to pick up the pieces others had left, ready and waiting, armed with an endless supply of hugs and kisses.

As her child, my mother realizes that I’m not perfect, even though she won’t admit it. And as with any other child, I make mistakes sometimes- well actually lots of times. And there are moments when I say and do things that hurt my mom, too. But the simple fact that we’re best friends allows us to always make amends. And even in the hardest times that indisputable best friend love will shine through and through.

My mother provides me with a comfort that is impossible to feel from anyone else. When I was a child it was the tender way she’d scoop me in her arms after I had fallen off my bicycle. Or it was the way that through any stomachache or cold, I felt 100 percent better after she’d walk in with that tray of soup and crackers.

And even though I’m an adult now, busy working in this grown-up world, there’s never a time when hearing my mom’s voice on the other end of that phone doesn’t instantly erase the fact that I’m 800 miles away. And as soon as I hear the words, “Hi, princess, I sure do miss you,” I realize that a best friend’s all I need in this world, and that’s my mom.

So, how could I not be completely and wholly in love with my mother? I mean, the woman gave me life. What in this world could I possibly ever do to return that kind of favor?