Lauren - Florissant, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in my youth.

I am sixteen. The reckless nature of humanity has not yet cast one of its uniform molds upon me. I am not pre-packaged. I am not another matching piece of the puzzle. I am the part with the corner cut off and a streak of neon paint. I am anarchy.

I believe in adventure.

I often find myself to be incredibly indecisive. The simplest decisions overpower me and leave my mind boggled. It will be asked, “where do you want to go?” or “what would you like to do?” I, more than often, reply with a universal, “I don’t know.” In spite of this struggle, I like options. If given a choice, a multitude of opportunities, I will choose in an instant. Forget the familiar; forget the “tried and true;” I go for the new. Trying something different, something unexplored, is my ecstasy. Whether it is minor, such as which movie to watch, or something drastic, such as a spur of the moment road trip, I always choose the change. Of this, I am certain.

I believe in a challenge.

I spent five years of my life in a Lutheran school, complete with chapel services and a white shirt with navy pants dress code. The pastors told me to spread their stories. The teachers told me to be pure, to be good, to be obedient, and to act like a follower should. I clung to the notion, which they called faith, for my life. A few years after leaving that school, I started to think. I opened myself to new ideas; fresh thoughts challenged the part of my life that I considered to be the essence of existence. I pushed myself to understand what lied outside of my religion—I was liberated. Accepting a challenge head on, something I had never done, especially with something that forced me to question the very foundation I was molded out of, taught me to question everything. It taught me to test new limits in all that I do, to break each level I land on. I live with an attitude thriving upon knowledge, unproved theories, alternative lifestyles, and foreign culture. With this, I am free.

I believe that the world is at my feet, but refuses to wait.

I believe that I am humble in my certainties, that asking “why?” is indispensable.

I believe in writing my own story and designing the artwork for the cover.

I believe in nothing and everything.

I believe in life.