Jennifer - Rockford, Michigan
Themes: birth, love

This I Believe…

It’s the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I go to bed. The ache that goes along with this lasts a lifetime, but the peace that goes along with knowing that your child is happy and will grow up in a safe and loving environment is what I like to call “priceless.”

Every child is precious even before it is born. It is a gift from God and we should treat it that way. To make a decision to go through an entire pregnancy and then place that child is a truly unselfish act and should be seen as such.

Some may see abortion as the answer. Then no one has to know, no one gets hurt. Really? What about the lifetime of “what ifs” and that precious life that had no choice about the way things would end up? I know there is discussion of extreme circumstances. Yes, painfully horrible things can happen to cause this sort of situation, but in the end why is it okay to take something else that isn’t ours to take.

Birthmothers should be proud of the decision that they have made. They have thought about the needs of their child first, not their own. Some may think that it is taking the easy way out, but how is that possible? Carrying a baby inside you for nine months is an extremely emotional time for a woman. She feels the flutters at first and then the nudges from inside. Worrying about this young life has already begun. Eating, and living a healthy lifestyle becomes priority. If nothing else, she can protect her baby while she has it inside the womb.

I believe all mothers have an undeniable bond with their children. Love at first sight is always apparent when it comes to this bond. This only makes the decision that much harder for this young woman.

I believe adoptive parents should be celebrated. They are giving lots of children a chance to grow and flourish as they should. But, for each adopted child, let us not assume that there isn’t a birthmother out there who also loves that child and wants them to grow and flourish too. Let us not forget that where there is joy, there has also been sorrow and loss.