Kenzie - Edina, Minnesota

I believe that life is meant to be lived out loud, in color, and with gumption.

Ironically enough, this very realization was a result of many days and weeks spent curled up, retracted, in the comfortable folds of my mind. Thinking. For me, thinking is work. Some can be fun, but when you constantly do too much of it, it loses its novelty…quickly. In fact, it’s hard for me to remember a time in the past 5 years when over-analytical thinking wasn’t a part of my everyday. Spending too much time in my head, not enough with what really matters–that’s my weakness.

Luckily, there’s another part of me, a part I thank God for. A part of me that loves fun, and knows, no matter how much I worry, that I deserve to have that fun. That life is good, and that fun is an essential part of its goodness. It’s like that song by Seal, that says “We’re never gonna survive, unless we get a little crazy.” And it’s this live-for-the-moment, smell-the-roses portion of my soul that helps me balance (and maybe one day will help me overcome) the over-thinking part.

And so, as I’ve grown, I’ve developed some insights about what we’re supposed to do with this “life” stuff. And the best I’ve got, so far, is to live it. There’s a magnet on the fridge at home that reads “Nothing is worth more than this day,” and though i can’t say the author, Goethe’s name (close to) properly, I get his message loud and clear. We’re given life not to toil away at it or to take it too seriously—or to over-analyze it; but to do one simple thing, to live it. That’s the best we can do, this I know for sure.

And not only to just get through it, survive it, but to enjoy every drop of it. For me, this means streaking with my best friends on the country club golf course. For you? Whatever makes you feel alive. After all, that’s how we’re supposed to feel. I believe that doing what makes you feel happy and alive isn’t lazy. You already have a life…why not play the starring role in it?