kelsy - oak view, California
Themes: death

This I Believe:

In my short time on earth I have witnessed death’s effect. Everyone must die one time or another, it’s the cycle of life. Unfortunately some are taken at unexpected times; this leaves those left behind helpless. All they want is to laugh with their friend, to hug them, to say goodbye, but that time has past. Everyone has a last day on earth, and no one knows when death will strike them, therefore I believe everyone should live everyday as if it were their last.

A few years ago I was in a car on my way home from the theme park Six Flags Magic Mountain, my friend, her parents and I ran into traffic. Unknowingly what the cause of traffic was, we thought nothing of it, and continued to sing along to the radio and gossip about junior high school drama. By the time we reached the cause of traffic, the car was silent no one spoke a word. I being 12 years old was traumatized. Along side of the rode was two cars unrecognizable, and completely crushed into garbage, lying next to the cars were three white sheets stained with blood covering three unknown bodies. My heart dropped I didn’t know what to do, or say, I was in shock. I wondered if the people died instantly or suffered, if they were young or older with children. My friend’s mom suggested to say a prayer, so we each clenched our hands together and bowed our heads.

I never found out who the bodies lying on the cold asphalt belonged to, but whoever they were they taught me a lesson that day, a lesson I was soon to reface in the coming years.

In highschool teenagers get their licenses and think they’re invincible behind a wheel. I know I did, until one night I was up visiting my older sister at Sonoma State University, where she currently attends college. That night I was sitting watching TV in the dorm room suite and I got a phone call, it was my boyfriend and he frantically said “I need to tell you something!” Not thinking much of it I asked, “Uh… ok, what is it.” He replied, “He died earlier today in a crash, I was with his cousin when we found out.” He didn’t even need to say his name I knew exactly who it was; it was the one kid who put a smile on everyone’s face and truly believed that behind a the wheel of a car, he was invincible. I began calling a few people and telling them the news. Nobody could believe that their kind hearted, genuine friend was taken at age 17.

It was that night the lesson I had learned just years before rushed back to me. The lesson being to live life everyday as if it were your last. I now live by that phrase. In a second anyone’s life can be taken no matter how old, and no matter how prepared. Therefore I believe one living life everyday as if it were their last is all one can do before that day comes.