Alex - Pleasantville, New York
Themes: nature

Alex Foley

Rain a Disproving of a Common Misconception

“Rain Rain Go Away Come Again Another Day.” Why? Why should the rain go away? Rain is great, rain is wonderful, I believe in rain. On a rainy day most people see a day wasted. When I look through the glass pane at the drips, pours, and mists, I see opportunity. Opportunity to appreciate the rain for all it is. Some may think it is strange that rain is my favorite weather, and yes, I’ve gotten a few dirty looks. I don’t know why I prefer rain, maybe because I was born in London where it rains constantly, I don’t know. All I do know is that I love the rain. The pitter-patter of it against the roof. The first drops splashing on my skin giving me a chilling sensation that nothing else can imitate. People look at rain and think, “Eww, it’s wet out. I don’t want to go outside, or “Aww, it’s raining so now we cannot play.” People take rain for granted. Rain creates new beginnings; rain brings life to plants, animals, and all other creatures on the planet. The water that trickles down from the skies above cleanses and purifies people’s minds. To sit back and watch a thunder storm or just watch the rain fall and line my window with random streams and trails of water is very relaxing to me. There’s a certain quality of the rain that allows people to think about their deepest emotions and be introspective. As if the puddles formed by the rain formed stagnant mirrors. For instance, whenever rain appears in movies the main character undergoes some sort of transformation. Hollywood knows the secrets, powers, and treasures of the rain. This particular type of precipitation is used in films frequently. It can symbolize a change in the protagonist or can symbolize the mood of the scene or film itself. Rain cascades upon crops allowing the plants turgid buds to flourish. This in turn feeds animals and humans completing rain’s purpose.

Rain is eternal it will never let me down and goes through an ongoing water cycle. Transpiration, condensation, and finally precipitation. This cycle repeats forever and will never leave. I can always count on the rain.