mitchell - rancho mirage, California

Good Things Happen to Good People

I live in a fast pace, complex world where the greater good is no longer an important factor in the daily life of a teenager. Many deeds that were made in the past are now left undone. This generation of youth has become so motivated on the idea of themselves. People are no longer kind and giving. People no longer go out of their way to help others or do a good deed. I feel that this is not right. I do good things because I believe good things happen to good people.

My personal motto is to do to others as I would want them to do to me. This means I treat people the way I would want them to treat me in return. I do a lot to help out my family, friends, community, and even complete strangers. Why do I? Because I believe that one day all of the good I give will be given back to me. Call it good karma, but I will call it being good natured.

I help my family everyday by doing different things that are unasked for: taking care of myself, cleaning up after myself, helping out around the house, and running errands. I feel that these simple little tasks will reward me not only in the present, but in the future. I lend a helping hand to my friends whenever I can. One time, I drove four hours at one in the morning to pick up a friend who was stranded out of town. I didn’t ask for anything in return; I just hoped that the deed would be repaid if I were ever in a bind. I perform my civil duty by donating blood on a regular basis. It feels good to help someone sick that cannot help themselves. It really makes me feel good knowing I’m helping someone out and sometimes even saving a life just from the kindness of my heart. I’ve also recently began to donate spare change to various animal foundations and I even adopted a homeless dog. Aside from helping a general community, I like to help individuals, even if they are complete strangers. I help out those that are less fortunate than me. When I see a homeless person, I generally do not give them money, but instead I will buy them a meal. This is usually a favor that many look down upon, but to me it doesn’t matter what someone’s status is or where they live, whether it be a mansion or a street.

I believe the world would be a better place if everyone just took time out of their day to help others. It is a terrible thing to know that so much misfortune can be caused by lack of kindness. I cannot change the world, but I can help change the things around me by bettering them. I never feel remorse for the things that I do, because one day I know I will be the one in a bind. But until then, I will keep lending my hand to those who are in need. I will keep my head high and a friendly smile on my face because after all, good things come to good people.