Tricia - Geneseo, Illinois

Laughter, a Smile That Bursts

I believe in falling off the chair, rolling on the ground, making a complete fool of myself laughter. The kind that makes my sides ache and my eyes water, bringing a smile to everyone around me, even if they haven’t the slightest idea as to why I’m howling.

I laugh, and the world laughs with me, charmed by the magic of my chuckles. An inspirational sound radiating through any mundane day, even the tiniest teehee adds brilliance to ordinary moments. Spiritual leader Jean Houston once remarked, “At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.” Laughter has the power to catapult any less than perfect situation in the opposite direction, offering an escape for times when life becomes a bit overwhelming.

Laughs come in all shapes and sizes. I take delight in the quiet giggles and the knee slapping screams, the muffled snickers and the tear summoning whoops, but by far, the best brand of laugh is the one captured forever with the snap of a camera. One look at that amusing, although often times not so flattering photo, and I feel as if I’m right back in that moment, guffawing as hard as ever. It makes no matter that my mouth is open wide as the grand canyon of that I’m awkwardly sprawled across the floor, that picture is still bound to be one of my all time favorites. It’s the ultimate reminder of a joyful occurrence, and every once in a while that snapshot brings a much needed smile to my face.

A good laugh makes memories, its bonds people, bringing them together with the strength of a simple joke. The ability to laugh is one that is shared by all individuals. Leaving it behind is a mistake. One of the most important qualities in any companion, laughter aids in building and strengthening the friendships that we cherish most in our hearts. Friends who laugh together, stay together, sharing in the comfort of humor.

Laughter truly is the best medicine. On those pouty days when all that I wish to do is crawl into a cozy little hole, the ability to laugh amends the circumstances, providing my downtrodden self with the vital feeling of hope. This rosy message invariably arrives in the form of the thought that, “Hey, there’s still a lot to laugh about!” With it’s ability to bring sunshine to an otherwise gloomy situation and form long lasting friendships, I’ll gladly fall off my chair just to experience the happiness that laughter creates.