Jenna - Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
Themes: love, setbacks

“Love Conquers All.”

I used to believe in this. I used to truly, madly, deeply believe these three meaningful words…until him. We met on a summer’s night. It was one of those end of August nights, where the air was getting cooler, reminding you that school was getting nearer. We were on the sidewalk, my friends and I in one line, him and his friends in another. He was on the end. He was fairly quiet, just a few side comments here and there. Then, our groups parted and that was that. We talked some more briefly after that but nothing too serious. About a week later I bumped into him at a friends house for a barbeque. We talked for hours, about everything too. From movies to books to me entering high school that coming September, and that being his last year in high school. I didn’t understand how two people with such an age difference could relate so much. Towards the end of the night, we were all standing on the driveway; his hand was around my waist. That moment, those short moments of his hand wrapped tightly around me, I felt complete and utter comfort. We started hanging out after school some days, just relaxing and talking and getting to know one another. Pretty soon we were dating, and were completely inseparable. Things were perfect. Sure we got in our share of fights, what couple doesn’t? But then came the verbal abuse. I should have seen the signs right then, but I was naïve, and I mean, I loved him…right? “What the hell is wrong with you?” he’d scream at me. “Why are you so stupid?” he’d yell. But no matter what, if I did something wrong, or if he did something wrong, I’d take him back, and we’d be together again. The year flew by, and then summer came along. The same old stuff was happening, he’d yell, I’d cry, we’d get back together. He’d scream, I’d scream, I’d cry, he’d cry, and then we’d get back together. He left for college on August 17. It was a very emotional day. That week before he left, I kind of prepared myself, as much as I could, for him to tell me he didn’t want to be with me anymore while he was at school, but he didn’t end things. So we tried the long distance thing. It was one of the most difficult situations I’d ever been in. So I tried to end it. He came home that weekend for thanksgiving and that’s when it all happened. Boom, boom, boom, went the door, falling to the ground. Fists were being thrown left and right. And then he came to me. He grabbed my wrists, and began to drag me across the ground. I screamed and yelled and cried, but no one really knew what to do. He let go of me, and my body fell loosely to the floor. And then he looked at me with these eyes. I don’t think I can even explain the look he had on his face and in his eyes. It was fear, it was terror, it was sadness, and it was love. That was that. My mother reported the incident. I knew we couldn’t see each other anymore. Not only was I not allowed by my parents but by the law. The thing is, when you’re in love, it’s not like a light switch. You can’t turn off how you feel about someone, no matter the situation. So of course I still loved him. But just because I loved him, didn’t mean we could be together. So, love conquers all? This I do not believe.