Stacy - Norman, Oklahoma

This I believe: We are all born into greatness. But somewhere along the way, it is taken from us. It could be the back of a hand, a sharp word or just a simple look. Over time, our greatness is eroded until only a shell remains and it is buried so deeply that little hints of it are all we are allowed to witness from time to time.

Some have been fortunate enough to reclaim it through decades of re-programming; if only lucky enough to realize that it existed before. Some never will and the loss to the world, although unknown, is still monumental.

I watched my child enter this world in all her greatness, with lungs of power and a cry to announce that she was here and that she knew she had brought it with her, this greatness bestowed upon her by her Father above. I, unfortunately, over the past sixteen years, have taken some of that greatness from her. I was the thief. It was me, just like my mother before and her mother before that.

It is the greatest disgrace I own – the one I will never be able to completely make right.

How is it that a love so complete is capable of so much damage? How is it that the heart’s greatest capacity – the capacity to love unconditionally – can be forgotten for a split second and in that second, a beautiful, shining spirit can be dimmed?

It seems to me the world’s greatest irony. And it seems to me the world’s saddest legacy.

Why is it that love’s stronghold is so weak? Is this the lesson that we were all sent here learn – to remember each other’s perfection at all times?

It seems to me that it must be. For with this one simple lesson, the world would be transformed into what we all really are – true, amazing, awe inspiring, greatness. This I believe.