Chelsea - Briarcliff Manor, New York
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the power of now. I can’t go one day without a parent or teacher telling me to think about the future; a coach or friend reminding me of what’s already happened, what I’ve already done. I worry about how my past will affect my future and whether I will make it; whether I will fail or succeed. It wasn’t until a recent soccer game when we were losing 1-0 that a friend yelled out from the side, “Believe in yourselves. Believe in the power of now!” that I realized how powerful that statement actually was. The power of now is the belief that opportunity to be successful is available now. At that moment, it didn’t matter how we had played in other games, how we will play in future games, it didn’t even matter how we had played earlier in that same game; it mattered how we played at that exact moment.

We didn’t end up winning the game that day. One could question how I can still believe in the power of now having been defeated. Believing in the power of now doesn’t mean always being successful; it means that at that moment, I did everything I could, without any thought of future consequences or past failures, whether that’s in soccer or on a test or anything else imaginable to get that success.

I believe that Herman Hesse said it best in his book, Siddhartha, “I reviewed my life and it was also a river, and Siddhartha the boy, Siddhartha the mature man and Siddhartha the old man, were only separated by shadows, not through reality. Siddhartha’s previous lives were also not in the past, and his death and his return to Brahma are not in the future. Nothing was, nothing will be, everything has reality and presence…Eternity is a mere moment.” In other words, all time, past, future, and present in all one single moment.

Will Rogers said that “half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.” I can’t do anything in the future or past. Everything I’ve ever done, I’ve done it in the present; in the now. Time is merely a sequence of nows. It’s the age-old saying, “You only live once, make it count.” I believe in living in the moment. I will worry about the future when I get there. I believe in not worrying about the past but learning from it and applying it to the now.