Lindsay - Briarcliff Manor, New York
Themes: pleasure

What makes it so good? Is it the lightly crisped bun that is unexpectedly spread with butter? The tart pickle that adds that extra flavor, but must be taken off before eating? The chicken cutlet fried in that secret batter that is close to perfection? Or is it the insulated packaging that when opened, steam is felt pouring out of the bag? We will never know what makes it so good, but it is undisputed: it is the best.

I always feel upset when I realize that I can’t get this amazing sandwich where I live, but the fact that it is only down South makes it so much better. Whenever I go to Florida, to visit my Dad’s family, it is a time filled with long, boring conversations and headaches. Not only am I attached to my cell phone, but I am also thinking of any place that will act as my escape for just a few moments; of course, this is the first and only place that comes to mind. I am able to take a step back from the chaos around me and relax. I am able to let all the troubles in my mind take a back seat while I acquire a moment to breathe and enjoy life.

I don’t know why it is so addictive, or even why it is so good, but just writing about it makes my mouth water and the cravings kick in. It’s not just the sandwich that is so amazing, but the combination of it with the flawless sweet tea. Poured into the insulated cup, with not too much ice, this tea is truly the definition of the South. It is the perfect partner for the crispy chicken in the warm bun. It is the key to taking this relaxing break and brings a sense of calmness to my mind.

I would recommend that everyone tries this sandwich if they ever have the chance. The only problem is any other version of it is never quite as good. It is by far my favorite food, and I could not imagine surviving the chaos of life without this simple reminder to breathe, relax, and look on the bright side. The only way to understand it is to try it, and I promise you won’t forget it. Take a quick break from the disorder of a day and live for the moments that make you smile. Wow, I believe in Chick-fil-A.