Maxwell - Briarcliff Manor, New York

I believe in many things, such as equality of man, morality, karma, et cetera, but others can challenge these beliefs, and invalidate their meaning. But truly, what I believe in most of all is laughing, and no one can challenge that. Nothing is better than a good laugh—the longest smile, a glimpse of optimism. Laughing is looking on the brighter side of things, relaxing, and taking a minute to enjoy living in the moment. The most distinct and unforgettable memories I have are of times filled with laughter so powerful that I found myself writhing on the floor, gasping for a sole breath, just so I could have enough air to drag out a few more seconds of laughter. At these times, I experience nothing but joy, and I realize how grateful I am for having the people who can instill in me this feeling.

Too many people are bogged down by the negatives of life; I want to order everybody to relax, to realize that there are no benefits to living a dry, humorless life- but that would be going against my philosophy; I should be laughing at the monotony of these people’s lives. At the same time, I wish I could help them, but there’s not much I can do. It’s an internal, personal decision that I make to find a good laugh while going through my day. I am thankful for the good things, and I enjoy the humor of the situation, rather than get caught up in ordinary struggles.

For me, it’d be quite the challenge to go a single day without a good laugh; why would I even do that to myself? I look forward to the witty, dorky humor of my first period teacher, to the boisterous, petty arguments between two friends at lunch, and to the mixed up conglomeration of stories from my dad at the dinner table. At the same time, I dread the lifeless double-period physics lecture, and the tedious hours of procrastination and homework. Laughing makes my day tolerable, and when I find laughter is when I show who I truly am.

The moment I laugh, I let my guard down, and show that I really do value the good around me. I realize that it’s not the problems I face that show how strong I am, but rather the way I get through them, and laugh along the way. By looking on the bright side of things, I am able to enjoy each day to its fullest. I keep at least a faint smile lingering, so I can jump into an opportunity of laughter with ease. It’s incredible how such a small action, a mere twitch of a few muscles, can brighten my day. And no one can take that away from me.