Kayla - La Quinta, California

Based on my eighteen years of experience, I’ve discovered that things are not always as they seem. The same goes for people, especially in high school. I believe that relationships that you form in high school set a precedent for the future.

For example, when you borrow something from someone, whether it be a T-shirt, money, or a book, you are automatically obligated to give it back. I know that I, personally, would feel that it be necessary to make repaying someone or returning something I borrowed a priority. I also know that I, personally, would be upset if someone had borrowed my favorite sweater three weeks ago and haven’t seen it since.

I believe that high school is truly a reflection of the “real world”, but more dramatic—much more dramatic. It’s almost as if high school itself is a test of courage, will, motivation, self confidence, and morale. Just about everything that you do or say is held against you until you graduate (unless you’re unfortunate enough to go to college with some of those high school enemies.)

In life, I expect to have similar experiences to those I did in high school. Between people borrowing money and taking months to repay me, and being asked to copy homework, you come to realize, this is life. My parents have told me throughout my high school career, “Don’t worry about all the drama and B.S., because once you graduate, it won’t matter, and neither will most of the people. They’re just dead weight.” Three years and nine months into high school, I’ve come realize that this is pretty accurate. With seven days left to attend high school, I haven’t quite yet entered the “real world”, but I feel that all the drama I’ve dealt with these last four years has prepared me pretty well for life.

High school has been quite an experience, and I’ve learned a lot about myself and other people. I feel that whatever comes my way, I’ll be able to handle it. I like to speak my mind, and people don’t always like to hear what I say, because, well, the truth hurts. But the truth is, I call it like I see it. If you don’t like what I have to say to or about you, then I’m sorry to hear that. Well, actually, I’m not. You see, I like to call myself a realistic person, and if you don’t like what I have to say about you, then maybe you should consider putting some time aside to reflect on life. That has become my attitude in high school.

You may be reading this and think that I’m a very close-minded person, but I’m not. I can be very optimistic, and like to hope for the better to come out of life. Unfortunately for all of us, it doesn’t work like that. I prefer to approach life with a seemingly pessimistic point of view. I like to expect the worst, and appreciate the good, and when the good gets better, I’ll appreciate it that much more.