Olivia - Briarcliff Manor, New York

Looking Past the Blinds and Seeing the Good

My step-father pisses me off. He’s like the road runner from Looney Tunes, he irritates me incessantly and gets under my skin but no matter how hard I try, I can’t beat him or stop him. I can’t even figure out how to play his game.

We all know his type: an obsessive compulsive, short-tempered megalomaniac bent on getting his way. At home, if my shoes aren’t completely in the closet he unlaces them, although, this might be considered a step up from having my shoes hidden from me if they were not in the proper location. If I repeatedly forget to open the blinds after watching television, he’ll completely remove the blinds, leaving an annoyingly permanent glare on the TV screen. If I leave my school bag downstairs instead of depositing it in my room it is very likely that later on I will discover all the contents of said bag splashed across my bedroom floor. He used to get in my face and yell but now he just stomps around the house like an angry ape muttering disapproving or sarcastic remarks about me under his breath, which can be even worse. The list goes on and on when it comes to the ways he has wronged, me but if there’s one thing I am grateful for, it’s the belief that has been instilled in me from dealing with him. I believe in finding the good in everyone.

Even in the heat of the moment, when my step-father is being the biggest jerk on the planet, the dark feeling of hatred that slithers into my body and wraps itself around my heart is fleeting because I know that deep down he is a good person. He makes my mom happy and I’m pretty sure he wants the best for me. When I encounter any aggravating specimen I remember to take a deep breath and think of all the things I like about that person and if I don’t know them, I think of the good qualities they may possess.

I believe that everyone has good in them; no one on this Earth is pure evil. Pure evil does not exist. What exists is misunderstanding, lack of communication and jumping to conclusions. In this world it is imperative that we believe that even the most terrible people are inherently good. If they love just one person they are good, if they have committed one benevolent act, they are good. In order to prevent or at least lessen the hardships that are present in the world today, whether it be terrorism or shoelace untying, I believe we must see the good in all people.