Thaddeus - Newtown, Connecticut

High school is supposed to be the best four years of our lives, and I’d say I’m having fun. Other people usually look at me like I have two heads, and I respond by saying “I guess it’s because I’m not doing it right that I’m having so much fun.” I say this because I don’t worry about the five different essays I have to do for my three classes, I don’t worry about the two tests I have to take on Friday, and I don’t worry about what my future contains.

Am I at fault because I don’t obsess over responsibility? I think not. If there isn’t fun in life, how could it be worth living? Everyone needs to be selfish a little bit to survive. To have a full life, people need to learn to be just selfish enough to make sure that they can enjoy themselves.

Life is too short to be worrying all the time. I’m not saying that you should never worry. Fear and nerves are a good thing because they keep you set on a path towards more happiness due to success. They become a bad thing when they consume one’s life and he forgets about the happiness that you’re supposed to be working for.

I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “stop and smell the roses.” Hell, you’ve probably even said it to a workaholic you know. That’s what I believe. Everyone should smell roses because that’s what’s great about them. Too many people just walk by these roses, these happy times, and ignore them, ultimately getting scratched by the thorns.

Unfortunately my mother is one of those people that doesn’t sniff. It even happens when the only objective is fun. One specific time was my first trip to Disney World. I was having fun while enjoying the rides, from Space Mountain to the go-cart tracks. Unfortunately my mother couldn’t say the same. We were supposed to have fun in the most efficient manner; we had to be to Epcot by one, Tomorrowland by two, and then to the magical castle because we just couldn’t miss the fireworks. She was obsessing over the plans to the point of absolute frustration. When my mother notified the family that we were running late, my father, although not too tactful about it, presented a more favorable idea; “Let the kids do what they want, they’re having fun.”

My mother was instantly pushed over the brink of mental breakdown. She stopped her push towards her destination, sat down on a nearby bench, and pouted. She was a little angry at how her husband had made his point in the rudest manner he could, but was more so angry that she realized that she wasn’t having any fun. Fun was all that she had gone to Disney World for.

So, this is what I believe: In life, we have to be a little selfish, take time to enjoy ourselves and what’s around us, and forget about the thorns that surround us.