Andrew - Briarcliff Manor, New York
Themes: carpe diem

Time moves at a constant pace; life, however, is spontaneous in that as quickly as it begins, it can end. Where and when the final moment of my life may occur is my unknown. Planning for the future doesn’t allow me to account for unexpected happenings in my life. I can intend to travel the world. I can prepare for entering the nation’s most prestigious schools. I can walk about the streets and be struck by a fallen piece of scaffolding. Suddenly, the dreams and aspirations that had once been so thoughtfully arranged will cease to evolve into anything but dreams and aspirations. All that I will have is regret for letting time pass by in anticipation of what could have happened.

I believe; I choose to live in the moment. In no instance is this more visible than when I am composing music. The notes that resonate from the guitar keep me grounded in my feelings and my thoughts, while the rhythm of the drums allows my mind and heart to travel alongside the lasting voyage that the music makes. I am “the music while the music lasts.” As long as the strings quiver and the sticks strike, I remain part of the music. All that surrounds me and all that once concerned me no longer exist. Time seems to stand still while “the speech of angels” that music is said to be becomes all that I am living for.

Time is what I make of it. Time does not stop for a coffee break and time does not hold the door for those who seem to straggle behind. As time passes, it may waste away or be cherished for its greatest significance, depending upon whether I choose to live for the present or if I choose to live for what may be. People say that there is all the time in the world, when in reality time is a limited resource. The time and energy that people invest in the future is only causing time that could be spent living, truly living, to wither away. As time moves onward so does life, and I come that much closer to facing the very end of my human existence. A depressing thought? Maybe, but it remains the truth for me nonetheless. “Time is what we want most, but what we use worst.” I choose to live for the moments that are now so that no moment is needlessly squandered.