Rebecca - Briarcliff Manor, New York

True friends are like four leaf clovers, hard to find and lucky to have. But since that friend is my mother, this has taken on a meaning all its own. Friends will come and go throughout my life but my mother will love me no matter what obstacles and mistakes I face. She will never turn her back on me and will pick me up off my feet every time I fall. My mother is a gift who I often under appreciate. She may seem overpowering, strict, or distant. But it is she who knows every line of my face and every little characteristic that has grown to create me as I am.

If asked, I would remark that of all my friends from school, dance, and youth group, my mother is the best of all. She has never given up on me no matter how deep of a rut I have gotten into. Even when I pushed her away, she remained persistent and never let me give up. I never understood how much I truly appreciated her pushiness until recently when I became painfully aware that if I did not accept a helping hand I would not survive my psychologically agonizing situation. A deep depression had struck me with a swift blow after a chain of painful events that continued into these last few months. Beginning with the sudden death of my uncle my life was thrown about as if in a tornado with no assurance of my landing place. Rather than extending her hand in aid, as my friends did, my mother grabbed my hand and did not let me go no matter how hard I tried to pull away.

To me, my mother is the most surprising of best friends but I have discovered that she is also the most valuable. Life will change and friendships will shift but I am confident that my relationship with my mother will remain a constant no matter how my life is rerouted. My life’s path and the steps I have made to continue my journey down it are attributed to my mother’s love and determination for me.

In the words of Washington Irving, “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.”

I believe wholeheartedly that no matter what, this statement will remain true. I believe that my mother will always stand beside me guiding me along the right path. But most of all I believe that through all the storms of life my mother will remain the best of all my friends.