Samuel - Briarcliff Manor, New York

There is Only One Way to Spell Forgiveness

I believe that one must forgive another for past mistakes made, and in return receive the like out of common courtesy and respect. If a person has the courage to admit a mistake, to me, that is worth all the respect in the world.

In second grade I did everything with my new best friend “Bud,” from attending Knicks basketball games to exploring at Liberty Science Center together. Two years following, Bud was really becoming annoying; he mocked me and hogged the basketball when we played together. Once, at a sleepover, Bud ran around his house waving around my underwear yelling, “Sam wears tighty-whities.” Bud was always very whiny, and he seemed to be a mama’s boy. One day I cursed him off on the internet and sent him nasty emails. To retort, his mother telephoned mine to discuss with her what terrible actions I had done. After this incident, Bud and I became enemies for six years.

I was ignorant to the definition of what a true friend really is. All that mattered to me was that I had fun. Later, I learned that there are other traits that define a good friend aside from the “fun” trait, which Bud did not have.

Throughout all of middle school, Bud and I continued our Cold War. By the time I reached tenth grade, I found myself in a small class with Bud. At the beginning of the year, we didn’t even look at each other. Slowly, everyone became comfortable in the class’s intimate environment. Bud would occasionally ask me for assistance in class. As the year progressed, we started to engage in small talk here and there, until by the end of the year we had become fairly friendly.

Throughout eleventh grade, Bud and I became good friends. He is now very independent, and I think that we have both greatly matured. I find that I am able to have conversations with him that I can’t have with many .We are able to disagree on subjects, and he respects me for my separate views and vice versa.

Who would ever guess that we would become good friends again? We now laugh and joke about our immaturities as kids, and I believe that that is what marks a truly strong friendship. Sincere forgiveness marks friends from fakes. While time may not heal all, it certainly helps. Life is unpredictable; an enemy in war may one day be an ally in peace. A true friend is one who has the courage to stand up for me, one who can relate to me, and one who can openly accept my faults and impurities. Not until I apologized did I realize the six years I had missed out on spending with such a great person. I have learned that one heinous act does not black list you for life; people are entitled to a second chance, a new beginning.